The Kurdish people live primarily in the Caucasus Mountains in the land between Turkey and Iran and Northern Iraq known as Kurdistan. There are over 8 million in Turkey and 3 million in Iraq, and though they are a large ethnic group, they have no official homeland. Their language is related to Persian Farsi, and their culture is like the surrounding Islamic cultures; however, women are not required to wear head coverings and have more freedom to engage in the workplace.Nearly all Kurds are Muslim and predominantly Sunni. Among the Kurds are also Shi'ite Kurds and there is much animosity between these two groups. Sunni Kurds have traces of earlier pagan religions and this sets them apart from other Muslims in this area.
Engagement // What's Happening Now
AGWM Europe is making a difference in the lives of Kurdish refugees in Italy by supplying basic needs and New Testaments at a refugee center. The center housed 200 refugees from numerous countries, and in the winter of 2016, they passed out blankets and New Testaments. Some responded to generosity and compassion by asking more about Jesus. As Kurds come to a place where the gospel is readily available, pray that resources are used to meet the curiosity and hunger to learn about Jesus.
Sustainability // The Bigger Story
There are over 15.4 million Kurdish people living in 33 countries, 14 of which are in Europe. Others are in areas that are harder to evangelize in due to government restrictions and lack of resources. Churches in Europe have the opportunity to reach Kurdish people in ways that they cannot in other closed-off regions. Pray for AGWM Europe as they work to reach Kurdish people and other Muslims in Europe.
Partnership // Move Beyond
Please spend a few minutes in prayer for the following:
- Ask the Lord to call people who are willing to go to share the Gospel with Northern Kurds.
- Ask God to give the Northern Kurdish believers opportunities to share the love of Jesus with their own people.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to soften the hearts of Kurds so that they will be receptive to the Gospel.
- Pray that God will open the hearts of governmental leaders to the Gospel.
- Pray that God will raise up strong fellowships of believers among Kurdish people in Italy
Info and Photo Source: Joshua Project