The Tigre people are followers of Islam. Though they are Muslim, many pre-Islamic rituals and practices remain, such as animal sacrifice, belief in evil spirits, and dependence on shamans. The majority of the Tigre people are nomadic and raise cattle, goats, sheep, and camels. The Tigre people who have settled usually become farmers. Tigre women are distinguished by their elaborate gold jewelry and colorful clothing.
Engagement // What’s Happening Now
There are many issues in Sub-Saharan Africa, such as malnutrition, lack of water, lack of medical aid, and widespread issues of Malaria and HIV/AIDS. Many compassion ministries exist to dig wells, provide health and medical services, and provide food for the purpose of communicating the gospel in a tangible way. Pray that this opportunity to meet obvious needs will open doors to share the gospel and engage the Tigre.
- Ask God to strengthen, encourage, and protect the few known Tigre Christians.
- Pray that the Lord will give these converts boldness to share Jesus with their own people.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to anoint the Gospel as it goes forth via the Jesus film among the Tigre.
- Ask God to call forth prayer teams who will begin breaking up the soil through intercession.
- Ask the Lord to raise up strong local churches among the Tigre.